Ready to Read tubs provide a complete set of tools for building a solid foundation for literacy. These books were specifically chosen to offer multicultural portrayals or young children, some Alaskan themed books, and manipulative features (e.g. touch and feel, lift a flap, etc.). Materials can be incorporated into various aspects of early childhood learning and development.
The Center has 10 Ready to Read tubs. Each tub includes:
- An assortment of 30-50 board and picture books
- A resource guide and a DVD for the adult childcare provider
- Tubs are not themed.
- Ready to Read tubs are loaned for 6 weeks. Tubs are renewable.
- If sent to location outside of Anchorage, the loan period is 9 weeks.
- The DVDs included in tubs are meant for adult caregivers.
- Some tubs contain materials in Spanish, Korean, and Vietnamese
Questions about kits?
Suggestions For Using the Ready to Read Tubs:
- Let children take board books in and out of the tub to develop fine motor skills
- Use picture books for storytime with a group of children
- Use song books to sing with children to develop sound awareness
- Use books to engage children in a conversation to develop language skills
- Discover new favorites with the vast array of titles
Ready to Read Tubs
- Early Literacy Storytimes @ Your Library by Saroj Ghoting & Pamela Martin-Diaz
- Every Child Ready to Read by Lee Pesky Learning Center
- Baby Days: Activities, Ideas, and Games for Enjoying Daily Life with a Child Under Three by Barbara Rowley
- Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games your Baby Will Love by Linda P. Acredolo
- Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger by Helen Garabedian
- Toddlers Together: The Complete Planning Guide for a Toddler Curriculum by Cynthia Catlin
- The Comprehensive Infant Curriculum: A Complete, Interactive Curriculum for Infants from Birth to 18 Months by Kay M. Albrecht
- Little Hands Fingerplays & Action Songs: Seasonal Activities & Creative Play for 2 to 6 Year Olds by Emily Stetson
- The Giant Encyclopedia of Theme Activities for Children 2 to 5 edited by Kathy Charner
- The Little Hands Big Fun Craft Book: Creative Fun for 2 to 6 Year Olds by Judy Press