Help Your Patrons Borrow Reading Kits
Alaska residents can borrow reading kits from Ready to Read Alaska, no matter where in the state they live. If your library is part of the Alaska Library Catalog (ALC) you can assist them in placing a hold on the item using the catalog. If your library is not part of the ALC, contact the Anchorage Public Library’s Interlibrary Loan Department to place a request:
800-261-2838 | email@example.com | 907-343-2837 (Fax)
Help Advocate for Early Literacy
There are several ways that Ready to Read Alaska can help you can promote early literacy in your community:
- Join the Alaska Library Association Children’s Services listserv
- Hand out brochures to families
- Use Lapsit bags or Little Sprouts tubs for your story times
- Need storytime help? Check out these storytime resources from the Alaska State Library.
- Start a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program at your library.
You can also encourage families to participate in the program online using Beanstack.
- Request a training on early literacy for yourself or your staff
- Learn more about early literacy resources that can help your community
Early Literacy eNewsletters
These eNewsletters provide examples of Early Literacy activities at other libraries across the country as well as sharing songs, fingerplays, and books perfect for the youngest patrons.